darinsmasthead2

Thursday, July 14, 2005

baseball sux

Anybody who cares one whit about this sport any longer is a sap -- a lovable sap, a sentimental sap, maybe. But a sap. Look at the facts. The records of the last decade were all drug-induced. The man who was supposedly the greatest player in the history of the game is now mysteriously injured forever -- probably because he can't get out of bed in terror of that grand jury indictment coming down the pike that will accuse him straightforwardly of being a cheater. And not even a pleasant cheater either. Meanwhile, now that nobody's taking the drugs any longer the league rankings and ratings have gone totally screwy, and basically, the biggest star in the majors is a 75 year-old loudmouth and one-time convicted felon who paid in excess of $200 million for a team that can barely tie its shoelaces without whining and kvetching and losing. Yeeech. Baseball stinks. So let A-Rod play for the Dominican Republic. At least in Latin American countries, the sport still means something. Here, it means ... skyboxes.Even thirty years ago, boxing was one of the three dominant sports, with the heavyweight champ being one of the two or three most famous people on earth. Now boxing is less popular than poker on television. Baseball is going that way too -- not for any of those old-timey reasons, like it's slow or good athletes are going into basketball or people like the violence of football. It's going south because a sport that seemed nearly impossible to fix turns out to have been fixed one person at a time, and that kind of corruption eats away at the essence of what it means to be a fan.

(I wish I could take credit for writing this, but alas, John Podhoretz did, today...but I agree)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you have to stop drinking in the 7th. That makes the last two, hopefully the last two, very l..o..n..g I could not agree with you more, baseball is for p##&.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I watch any sport that I get a chance to see. My favorite is baseball, because it's every day. I love football, hockey, golf, and basketball. If I can get it on my dish, I watch soccer anytime that it is on. I love soccer.
I've even watched that sport where someone on ice releases a weight, and people use brushes to clear a path, to try to get it close to a target.
Baseball is still my favorite. Wait. I'll amend that to say CARDINALS BASEBALL is my favorite.

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I presume Darin that arguing politics is a better use of time in your opinion, than watching cardinal baseball?
Was that Wes that posted that first reply? :)
jake

2:33 PM  
Blogger djobe said...

no idea who that was...there are lot's of things that I would consider a better use of time than watching sports, but as they say, "to each his own." Everything in moderation--- I am not a big fan of arguing politics, I do like reading about current events and reading editorials (on both sides) but everyone seems to like to disagree with me....maybe I am an easy target?

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home