darinsmasthead2

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

"Megaphones matter, but not as much as what you say into them."

I wish I could claim that I came up with the title of this post, but Jonah Goldberg did.

I have been reading every op-ed by Jonah and most of his colleagues at National Review for the better part of 7 years. I have been a subscriber to their excellent magazine for 2 years, but I read the online version as often as I can.

A lot of people have predicted that blogging is this "new medium" that somehow will decapitate the traditional media, but as the title of this post suggests, it is more about what you say...not the megaphone with which you say it. I have no megaphone...but I have this little microphone.

If, and that's a big "if", I were to stumble onto something profound (stop laughing) and I say it on my blog, it will spread. What makes blogging powerful is that ANYONE can say something profound, under the old media method, only the journalistic elite were able to espouse or pontificate to the masses....now that we all have a voice, the potential for the spread of great ideas is infinite. As I have said before, we are all doing battle in the arena of ideas, the best ones will triumph.

Then again, just because you give a person a digital camera doesn't mean they become a professional photojournalist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home