darinsmasthead2

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Appropriate script

As someone who has been required to say, “Thank you for calling, ____, this is Darin, How can I help you?” thousands of times over the course of thousands of phone calls, I can appreciate the finer points of an employee script.

You know, when companies don’t really trust their employees to say the appropriate things, they make up a nice little script and then require that the employees use it.
Stay with me, I am going somewhere…..

For some reason at Taco Bell they have a very bad script writer. I thought it was at one location, specifically the Taco Bell drive up window attendant on Missouri Blvd in JC started acknowledging that a vehicle had approached by saying, “Hi, How are you?”

Now I know that it is at multiple locations.

While this seems like an innocuous statement, it makes absolutely no sense in the context of me driving a vehicle up to a digital order taking machine while reading about my choices of tacos versus chalupas….

Think about it---what is the appropriate response to the questions, “how are you?” Well of course, it is, “I’m good, how are you.” And now your are sharing small talk with a person in a sweaty fast food restaurant when all I really want to do is order a number 1 with a soft taco and a mountain dew and move around to the next window!

For anyone who is in charge of writing scripts for the employees, THINK! What should the girl/guy at the drive up window at Taco Bell say?
How about something like, “Welcome to Taco Bell, may I take your order?”

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Hi. I enjoyed reading your blog. Some well made points. Thanks.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, but that wouldn't be personal would it? It's all about enhancing your customer experience.
More than likely, it's some enterprising young djobe working on his next career as a salesman. Or he was too stoned to read the script.

11:57 PM  
Blogger djobe said...

And imagine the possibilities of the answers late at night...

At 1:30 am, the answer to "how are you" could be, "I'm friggin wasted, woo hoo!"

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home