darinsmasthead2

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

going tribal

There is a show on Discovery that blows my mind every time. check it out

Going Tribal basically takes an english white man and drops him into some of the most isolated and ancient cultures on the planet.

The most recent episode puts him with the pygmy tribes of Africa for more than a month, after a month of living with the tribe they decide to initiate him into their culture by feeding him ibogo root, which causes intense halucinations and introspection.

We don't call them pygmy any more, we call them forest people, I am afraid I don't know how to spell their tribal name.

Regardless, to watch a white man be accepted into some of the most ancient cultures with open arms is amazing. I have wathed Bruce go to Mongolia, the Amazon, and Africa, and each time he takes at least a month living with his hosts until he is completely assimilated.

I don't know if I would have the fortitude to handle that kind of immersion.

1 Comments:

Blogger RR said...

Hey man,
I LOVE that show. I also dug "Frontier House" a few years ago, where they dropped four families in the middle of Montana and said, "."we will see you in nine months, good luck" How would you do? VERY VERY cool show.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home