darinsmasthead2

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Blogging is like digital photography

I enjoy blogging.
I think it is an interesting phenomenon that happens when there are no barriers to entry, no costs associated with publishing, and very little technological know-how required to maintain a blog. I would compare the blogging revolution to the digital camera revolution.
100 years ago, only a very few highly trained individuals would have been able to take photographs, the costs and technical competence required made photography prohibitive. As years and decades passed photography got more and more accessible to the point that when I was a kid, I might be given a cheap 35 milimeter camera and take photos that would have blown away a professional photographer from an earlier era. Today, I have mutliple digital cameras and I take thousands of photos, I crop them, I share them, I print them, I email them. They are completely disposable. Can you see where I am going?
Blogging is the literary equivalent of digital photography.
100 years ago, only a very few highly trained individuals would have been able to publish their thoughts and circulate them in any meaningul way.....now publishing your thoughts for the world is so easy to do that it is completely disposable.

This may all seem obvious, if it does, disregard.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took one of those disposable cameras to a drug store today and they said don't do developing anymore.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home