darinsmasthead2

Friday, September 02, 2005

Wal-Mart

I know that it is fashionable to bash Wal-Mart, they "drive small businesses out of business" they "price gouge their suppliers" etc.....

How about this...
BENTONVILLE, Ark., Sept. 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Following PresidentBush's announcement today that former Presidents Bush and Clinton will lead anationwide fundraising effort to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina, Wal-Mart President and CEO Lee Scott contacted President Clinton and the WhiteHouse and committed $15 million from Wal-Mart to jump-start the effort. As part of this commitment, Wal-Mart will establish mini-Wal-Mart storesin areas impacted by the hurricane. Items such as clothing, diapers, babywipes, food, formula, toothbrushes, bedding and water will be given out free of charge to those with a demonstrated need.

Regardless of your feelings on Wal-Mart, they are doing a good deed for people in need. I wish them luck.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only problem with Wal-Mart is that they socialize their health care. They encourage their 39 hour a week employees to go onto state Medicaid coverage. I'm sure that you, being a slightly more conservative fellow than I am, would agree that it's wrong to privatize profits while socializing health care.
CM

10:58 PM  
Blogger djobe said...

Absolutely, agreed. I have a few problems with WalMart, and the more I look at Costco's model, the more I like it.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home