darinsmasthead2

Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Buddha Boy is back!


I first wrote about the Buddha Boy in November of 2005, something about his meditation under the pipal tree caught my eye, his celebrity grew and over 100,000 people made pilgrimages to see him because they thought he may be the reincarnation of a Buddha. I know that sounds crazy but consider that the Dali Lama is widely considered to be the reincarnation of a bodhisattva---a person who has dedicated there life to bodhi (transcendent meditation) that has the possibility of attaining the enlightenment of a Buddha in a future lifetime---and then I realize that it’s not all that far fetched if you subscribe to that world view.



He disappeared for months but now he is back, 16 years old and sitting under the same pipal tree, but he has said he doesn’t want people to call him the Buddha, he is simply meditating for the next 6 years.

That’s pretty much the same thing I wanted to do when I was 16, it was either meditate in the woods alone under a pipal tree for 6 years or make out with a cheerleader---but only if she was dedicated to bodhi.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home